Wednesday, October 8, 2008

i just don:t know

So i have been trying to write this for about a week, and i am finding it really hard to put into words what i am feeling. i think it is full overwhelmization. i love my host family though they laugh at me a lot. and i love japan though i don:t, even a little bit, understand the culture. i wake up at 5-5:30 every morning because i live an hour and a half away from the school and my sister has class at 8:40 and if we left any later than 6:10 we would miss our train and as it only runs once an hour that time in the morning it she would be late. this morning on the train she struggled with the sentence I am sorry you have to wake up so early, and yes i am tired but i feel that it is worth it to get up and go. not like i have a choice but even if i did i think i would choose to go with her. Oh the reason i don:t have a choice is because it is a 10 min car ride before i get on the train, so not walking distance.
one of the first things my family did when i got to their house was to give me a gift. my family chose a practical gift that is much appreciated. they gave me a set of chopsticks that are very nice. and then they showed me my dishes. each member of the family has their own set of dishes that they use every meal. i will admit at first it was a little weird, not gonna lie. but now it is just getting to be familiar and i think i may be ok with it.
there are so many things that are different about japan and i don:t think that i can justly tell you everything that i have observed. besides observations are unique to each person so you may have to observe it for yourself.
even as i sit here i am so overwhelmed with so many things to write and not knowing how to say it. this week has been jampacked with so many things classes new people everything. my japanese language class is so overwhelming that i want to cry, and i am not the only one. i want to be able to communicate but i can:t due to my lack of words and the fact that to me everything sounds the same. i want to be able to join in on conversations with my family but only one really speaks english and even hers is poor. i want to know if i offended them. i want to leave my bed out. yes make it but i don:t want to fold it up and put it away every morning. i want to know how to use the shower properly. this one is difficult for me. and i know this trip is not all about me though that is what it seems like after that paragraph so lets try and sound optimistic. my family is amazing. i try a lot of new foods that are interesting. i live in a village that is in the foothills it is beautiful. my room is the old fashion type with rice paper walls and straw mat floors. i have got to go into a jr high class that was a lot of fun.
like i said before i really don:t know what to write but i want to tell you everything at the same time. i just don:t know where to start or what to write. the best way for me to tell you things is for you to ask questions you can do it here or in an email. andrea.sanders@oc.edu. i will do my best to answer.
love you all,
andrea

1 comment:

Sammie said...

Yay Andrea! I finally found your blog! I am ridiculously excited for you and the things you are getting to experience. Thanks for blogging about the hard parts as well as the blessings! I miss you tons, and CANNOT wait until you get to Australia!!!!!! LOVE YOU